Cylinders and Frames for cylinders
The cylinders department started with the creation of Apragaz in 1929 and as its name suggests, it deals with cylinders and frames for cylinders.
Gas cylinders are usually limited to a water capacity of max. 150L, but some standards allow capacities of up to 450L.
A frame of cylinders is a set of cylinders attached to each other and connected by a manifold pipe and transported as an indivisible whole.
Apragaz is an accredited and notified body that can certify new pressure equipment (cylinders and cylinder frames) intended for the transport of gas.
We can also carry out the necessary inspections and controls before they are placed on the market, as well as their periodic control.
More specifically, the equipment dealt with by the cylinders department is the following :
- Cylinders and cylinder frames intended for the transport of a gas by road (ADR), rail (RID) and inland waterways (ADN) and placed on the European Union (EU) market.
In this case, Directive 2010/35/EU (TPED) applies.
Note: If cylinder frames are used as “fixed” non-transportable equipment, then they fall under Directive 2014/68/EU (PED)
- Cylinders and cylinder frames intended for the transport of gases by sea (seas and oceans).
In this case, IMDG § 6.2 applies.
- Cylinders used as breathing apparatus (diving cylinders, SCBA, etc) or as portable fire extinguishers (≤ 20 Kg) and placed on the European Union (EU) market.
In this case, Directive 2014/68/EU (PED) applies.
Note: According to Directive 2014/68/EU PED, a portable fire extinguisher is an assembly of different components: a cylinder, a valve, a PRD, etc.
Apragaz can handle the entire certification process via two departments:
- The “cylinders” department for the cylinders (for example for qualified high-pressure extinguishers such as CO2 extinguishers) ;
- The “extinguishers” department to certify the whole (valves, PRD, etc).
For more information